Blog · Forums · Podcast
Advertisement

Lemuria!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Talk About Comics Forum Index -> A. Prosser's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Prankster

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:48 pm    Post subject: Lemuria! Reply with quote

OK! So despite the fact that very few people seem to visit this forum (why would you, when there's a "comment" field under every strip?) I'm going to start a Lemuria thread.

The current story, which I've retroactively dubbed "Slaves of the Demon God", appeared in black and white format in The Blitz, a local (Toronto-area) comics anthology published by myself and some friends of mine. I'd had the idea kicking around for a while, with some character designs, and decided to whip it up. The end result looked so good I decided to make it an ongoing series!

I'm actually planning a whole series of Lemuria stories about a variety of different characters, but Swordi and Sorcera will be the main ongoing characters who you'll be seeing online. What of the others, you ask? Well, I'm tentatively planning to produce Lemuria as an independent comic, with a full print run and everything. It'll be quarterly, 32 pages, with at least one S&S story and one backup feature. The Swordi and Sorcera stories will, as I say, run online, but to read the others, you'll have to buy the book!

More on this as it develops.

At www.phantasmictales.com
Prankster

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Slaves of the Demon God" is rapidly approaching its climax--it should be wrapping up next week. (That's July 3rd, for those of you in THE FUTURE.) At that point I'll take a break for a couple of weeks and work on Freak U. and Night Shift (the former will go bi-weekly, the latter 5 days a week) until the next Lemuria storyline kicks off. At that point it will be once a week--I can't keep up this pace forever!

As mentioned above, there will be several different Lemuria characters with their own storylines, but the only ones I'm going to put online are the Swordi and Sorcera stories--the rest will appear in the pages of the Lemuria print comic, first issue due this fall. Consider the website a kind of preview and promotional tool for the print comic. This is going to be a real, full-run comic (I'm hoping to get it into Previews, but that seems to be really hard these days) with somewhere around 4000 copies, so I'm gonna be shilling it like crazy come the time it hits the streets. I hope if you'll reading this you'll buy one...it's going to be the price of a standard comic (possibly less!), 32 pages, and full-color, so that'll be a good bargain, I think!

Prankster

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK! "Slaves of the Demon God" is (basically) finished. I'm hoping to complete all the colouring and so on by the end of this week. Then I go full tilt into finishing the backup story for the print comic--which, for you to see, will require you to buy it! This story will be set in Lemuria, but feature a different set of characters--I guess it's a Terry Pratchett sorta thing. (Ironic, because I'm not really a huge fan of Pratchett, and I didn't set out to emulate him in any way.)

However, Swordi and Sorcera will remain the primary characters, and their new adventure will be hitting the web early next month--I'll tentatively say August 3rd, though that may change. The working title is "Entangled by the Tourist Trap".

From there on out, I'll be updating once-weekly, probably on mondays. The pattern will remain the same--Swordi and Sorcera on the web, other stories that fill out the world of Lemuria (and will cross over with the S&S stories eventually!) will be print-only. The first of these is a 13 pager about two other important characters who will also be recurring in the Lemuria stories, Hummu Stitchthrice and Hordo of Atlantis. I'll let you know when this is available to buy!

Prankster

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. So. My original goal was to make Lemuria a print publication alongside the webcomics. To that end, I've been submitting it to publishers, but with all the turmoil in the comics industry right now, I'm not sure this is a good time to do so, and launching my own self-published book is a little dodgy too. You can read more about my travails here: http://phantasmicblog.blogspot.com/2009/09/countdown-to-dark-reign-of-infinite.html.

The long and the short of it is, I had intended to make some Lemuria stories available for print only, but if my printing plans don't go through it'll all be up on the web. I actually have an entire storyline ready and waiting to go, lacking only the cololurs, and I'm hard at work on the script for the next Swordi and Sorcera story.

I had intended to launch things next friday, the 18th of September; I'm pushing that back a week to chart out my options a little more thoroughly. Stay tuned.

Prankster

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, in case you ain't noticed yet, a new Lemuria storyline is currently running on the site:

http://www.webcomicsnation.com/prankster/lemuria/series.php?view=archive&chapter=41116&name=lemuria

The goal is to keep Lemuria as a weekly comic, updating Fridays, in perpetuity.

However! I've also signed on with DriveThru comics and plan to produce some Lemuria work through them. I'll detail this a little more in the relevant thread.

Prankster

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, the current storyline has come to a close. I'm taking a few weeks to gather my strength and rest up, and a new story will begin on Sept 24th.

Part of the reason I need a bit more of a break--and why the strip's been inconsistent of late, too--is that I'm actually going to be juggling two separate Lemuria storylines for the forseeable future. One of the, the Swordi and Sorcera story, will of course be up on the site. The other will feature a different character and make up the back end of Lemuria issue #2, and will NOT be available online.

Yes, this is the new paradigm: I'm going to be offering half of my Lemuria content for free, and the rest will be print-only, through DriveThru comics, IndyPlanet, and whatever other medium I can find that'll promote it. (You bet your booty I'm trying to find a way to sell Lemuria for the iPad.) And indeed, enjoy "The Brave Little Tailor" while it lasts--on Sept 24th, I'm going to be taking it down, and you'll only be able to read it if you buy or download a copy of the issue itself. I plan to continue this way for as long as I can keep it up.

There's also going to be a huge marketing blitz coming for the site once the new comic goes up, so get used to seeing Lemuria ads everywhere! Um, Everywhere that I can afford, that is.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Talk About Comics Forum Index -> A. Prosser's Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: