Blog · Forums · Podcast
Advertisement

Q and A with the Freefall Cast and Crew.
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Boy From Stalingrad

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:32 pm    Post subject: Q and A with the Freefall Cast and Crew. Reply with quote

This thread is for the purpose of answering the burning questions we have for Mark Stanley, as well as questions about and posed to the characters of Freefall.

To Florence:

Florence, I have a few questions about the physiology of a Bowman's Wolf:

I have seen you eating raw meat, even that you have hunted yourself, its obvious that your body is far more efficient at processing raw meat than a humans, but are you immune to the bactiria and parasites that are potentially lethal to humans?

In past strips you have showed almost super-human feats of speed and strength (lifting three full grown humans at one, pouncing and dismantling Helix in a matter of seconds, etc.). In comparison to an average human, how much stronger or faster are you? 2x, 3x, or even 4x? And in on the subject of seep, how does your bipedal running speed compare to your quadrapedal?

Other than being a gifted engineer, do you have any other talents, intrests or hobbies? Do you engage in any sort of sports or exercise rutines? Do you sing or play any instruments? Do like to read or listen to music, and if so, what writers and artist?

Question for Sam:

Exactly how many file cabinets and clerks are neccessary to keep track of your criminal record?
coi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
... are you [, Florence Ambrose,] immune to the [bacteria] and parasites that are potentially lethal to humans?

She is apparently not immune to bacterial infection and parasites, since cooking her food (http://freefall.purrsia.com/ff300/fv00232.htm) reduced her risk from such.

There are only a few infections and parasites (e.g. tuberculous, mosquitoes) that are cross-species. Ordinary wolves are normally immune to human colds, flu, and other diseases. Likewise humans are normally immune to nearly all the infections potentially lethal to canids.

Quote:
In past strips you [, Florence Ambrose,] have [shown] almost super-human feats of speed and strength (lifting three full grown humans at one, pouncing and dismantling Helix in a matter of seconds, etc.).

I don't remember her "lifting three full grown humans at one".

Pouncing and dismantling Helix in a matter of seconds is probably not super-human as most robots are apparently not strong (http://freefall.purrsia.com/ff1500/fv01457.htm), and I remember a statement that Helix "folds like a wet sponge" (http://freefall.purrsia.com/ff200/fv00165.htm).

Quote:
And [] on the subject of [speed], how does your bipedal running speed compare to your quadrapedal?

Her apparent bounce height on arrival and focus (http://freefall.purrsia.com/ff100/fv00084.htm) at the bottom of the ventilation shaft indicates a depth of between 4 and 6m. Assuming Jean's surface gravity is 10m/s^2, a speed of 11m/s (40kph) would be sufficient to run up the manifold (http://freefall.purrsia.com/ff100/fv00089.htm). A skilled human gymnist might succeed, but few other humans would, so her speed is apparently not super-human, and definitely not super-sam.
Won-Tolla

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coi wrote:
a speed of 11m/s (40kph) would be sufficient to run up the manifold (http://freefall.purrsia.com/ff100/fv00089.htm).

I wonder what the three other ways were...

By the way, what does Sam running up the shaft have to do with Florence's speed/strength? Maybe one of the ways she thought of was her trying that.

As for Helix "folding like a sponge" I assume they were talking about psychological pressure (and metaphorical spines etc.). He's built for heavy lifting etc. after all.
The Boy From Stalingrad

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coi wrote:
Quote:
... are you [, Florence Ambrose,] immune to the [bacteria] and parasites that are potentially lethal to humans?

She is apparently not immune to bacterial infection and parasites, since cooking her food (http://freefall.purrsia.com/ff300/fv00232.htm) reduced her risk from such.

There are only a few infections and parasites (e.g. tuberculous, mosquitoes) that are cross-species. Ordinary wolves are normally immune to human colds, flu, and other diseases. Likewise humans are normally immune to nearly all the infections potentially lethal to canids.

Quote:
In past strips you [, Florence Ambrose,] have [shown] almost super-human feats of speed and strength (lifting three full grown humans at one, pouncing and dismantling Helix in a matter of seconds, etc.).

I don't remember her "lifting three full grown humans at one".

Pouncing and dismantling Helix in a matter of seconds is probably not super-human as most robots are apparently not strong (http://freefall.purrsia.com/ff1500/fv01457.htm), and I remember a statement that Helix "folds like a wet sponge" (http://freefall.purrsia.com/ff200/fv00165.htm).

Quote:
And [] on the subject of [speed], how does your bipedal running speed compare to your quadrapedal?

Her apparent bounce height on arrival and focus (http://freefall.purrsia.com/ff100/fv00084.htm) at the bottom of the ventilation shaft indicates a depth of between 4 and 6m. Assuming Jean's surface gravity is 10m/s^2, a speed of 11m/s (40kph) would be sufficient to run up the manifold (http://freefall.purrsia.com/ff100/fv00089.htm). A skilled human gymnist might succeed, but few other humans would, so her speed is apparently not super-human, and definitely not super-sam.

I was wondering because she has eaten raw meat in the past:

http://freefall.purrsia.com/ff100/fv00043.htm

I admit, I made a mistake about the carrying, she just knocked them over by accident.

I had no I know what humans and wolves are capable of, but not a combination of the two.

I do not remember posing these question to you. Thank you for ruining a perfectly good thread theat was meant to be a fun way to interact with fictional characters. If I could erase it, I would.
wdag_

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Boy From Stalingrad wrote:
I do not remember posing these question to you. Thank you for ruining a perfectly good thread theat was meant to be a fun way to interact with fictional characters. If I could erase it, I would.

Well, Boy, you could have Emailed the questions to Florence and Sam, but they would be waiting for the Asimov to cycle back here, pick them up, etc.

Or you could have PM'ed Mark with your idea for a "Q&A thread" and gotten his OK, and maybe even TAC accounts for "Florence" and "Sam" to make the setting complete - and clearly state at the top of the thread that Florence and Sam would be replying, like other strips have done in the past (like The Suburban Jungle's "live chat" with some of its characters).

Since you didn't (and are an apparently relative newcomer to the forum), one of the other forumites took it as a general request for information, and provided some.

Keep in mind, this is the free world, not the former Soviet Union. We do not take those who displease us out and shoot them (as tempting as that may be at times); instead we grit our teeth, mutter under our breath, then smile and thank them for their assistance - and resolve to watch how we phrase things in the future.

Most important: THESE ARE FICTIONAL CHARACTERS! Have a sense of proportion!

BTW: Neither "Florence Ambrose" nor "Sam Starfall" are currently taken as TAC user names.
Dewey

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember a thread like this from back at the Nice forum, I think it was titled "Interview with a Bowmans wolf" or something like that. Mark Spoke for Florence in regard to a number of questions raised. It doesn't seem to have been saved or transfered though. Too bad.
The Old Wolf

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is hope for salvaging at least the data. I have asked Revar for the full Freefall archives from The Nice, and he has indicated that these will be forthcoming. I'll then need to see how best to make them available and in the most useful form.

FWIW, I saw nothing wrong with what "Boy" did or how he did it... If it was a good idea, it would have caught on - and if it wasn't that great of an idea, it probably would have died a natural death anyway.
The Boy From Stalingrad

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wdag_ wrote:

Well, Boy, you could have Emailed the questions to Florence and Sam, but they would be waiting for the Asimov to cycle back here, pick them up, etc.

Or you could have PM'ed Mark with your idea for a "Q&A thread" and gotten his OK, and maybe even TAC accounts for "Florence" and "Sam" to make the setting complete - and clearly state at the top of the thread that Florence and Sam would be replying, like other strips have done in the past (like The Suburban Jungle's "live chat" with some of its characters).

Since you didn't (and are an apparently relative newcomer to the forum), one of the other forumites took it as a general request for information, and provided some.

Keep in mind, this is the free world, not the former Soviet Union. We do not take those who displease us out and shoot them (as tempting as that may be at times); instead we grit our teeth, mutter under our breath, then smile and thank them for their assistance - and resolve to watch how we phrase things in the future.

BTW: Neither "Florence Ambrose" nor "Sam Starfall" are currently taken as TAC user names.

On the old forum Mark would answer questions in the persona of the characters. I thought this forum could use something similar.

Don't be a jerk. Its very unbecoming...
Nohbody

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dewey wrote:
I remember a thread like this from back at the Nice forum, I think it was titled "Interview with a Bowmans wolf" or something like that. Mark Spoke for Florence in regard to a number of questions raised. It doesn't seem to have been saved or transfered though. Too bad.

"Interview with the Va... erm, Bowman's Wolf" was the thread's subject. Or something almost like that, anyway.

Alas, I didn't think to bother saving a copy of it, when the Nice board was functioning.
marmoe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wdag_ wrote:

Don't be a jerk. Its very unbecoming...

Calming pies, anyone?!? (That's three links, there. And where's the Bowman wolf grin icon when I need it???) [1]

See, easy, calm already. Wink Very Happy

Here, have some pie and be patient. As others have observed already, a thread in the same vein existed on The Nice; it is my guess that Mark will drop by, as he finds time to do so.

[1] Who made me Sheriff around here? Why, I did. I guess watching a gecko wielding a pie twice its size will have you either stunned in awe or rolling on the floor laughing. On both counts: mission accomplished. Wink
Won-Tolla

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marmoe wrote:
And where's the Bowman wolf grin icon when I need it???

http://www.polyhedrongroup.com/freefall/FloGrin2.GIF

Oh, and if anyone needs more calming we could try this.
marmoe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Won-Tolla wrote:
marmoe wrote:
And where's the Bowman wolf grin icon when I need it???

http://www.polyhedrongroup.com/freefall/FloGrin2.GIF

Thanks. Very Happy Bookmarked.
wdag_

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pi makes me irrational...
ARF2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the Toothy Grin icon I use. It was created by Cerebus.

Beyond infinite precision, you can round off directly to the limit
—without all that tedious mucking about in shrinking deltas and epsilons.
The Old Wolf

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, good, I had never archived that one!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Talk About Comics Forum Index -> Freefall All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40  Next
Page 1 of 40

Jump to: