Blog · Forums · Podcast
Advertisement

What do you guys think of the ads on here?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Talk About Comics Forum Index -> Killroy and Tina
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JustinPie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 12:31 am    Post subject: What do you guys think of the ads on here? Reply with quote

Some of them have naked ladies in them! OOPS SORRY WORK.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I block all ads. I'm sick of them.
TechnoAtheist

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the ads that are run are fine. Even the ones with drawn nude figures, mostly because the drawn nude figures aren't the same sort one sees in the back pages of Penthouse, or are otherwise displaying portions of their anatomy best left for their gynocologist.

As for having ads at all, I'm fine with them. They pay the bills I'm too cheap to offer to do myself. (If I had a subscription and were seeing the same ads, or didn't have the option to exclude them, I'd be rather annoyed, but that's beside the point.)

Generally, the only ads I tend to block are the ones that involve me shooting something to win the chance to look at a full page ad that may or maynot feature a free ipod. They're the ones that strobe and flash like a monkey with a 10 espresso a day habit and were obviously created by someone who uses their computer as a desklamp. The rest are fine and actually reasonably useful on occassion.

But that's just my opinion.
Nick Fagerlund

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, any site serving ads that strobe more than twice per second gets its image privileges revoked. Likewise any ads that are mocked up to look like a win95 error message. Likewise excessive use of useless flash. (Gots the adblock extension and I know how to use it.) Other than that, I take a live and let live attitude. And I am a-ok with naked ladies.

(Is it that Mythos and Majik ad you're talking about? Or did Suicidegirls finally post Joey an offer he couldn't refuse?)

(...is it just me, or is "SuicideGirls" a kind of fucked up name? I'm like, "You're pretty and all, but please don't kill yourself.")
LCARS

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick Fagerlund wrote:
(...is it just me, or is "SuicideGirls" a kind of fucked up name? I'm like, "You're pretty and all, but please don't kill yourself.")

That's supposed to fit into their Punk/psuedo-goth motif.
reinder
Modern Tales Family Cartoonist

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be my Grimborg ad. That's a pretty tasteful one IMO, in spite of Kel's shiny butt-cheeks. Not at all gynaecological. It's the most succesful of the four in my ad rotation. Expect more naked ladies when the MT family cartoonists start comparing notes Smile
I loved the K&T "Google" ad, by the way.
xmung

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i notice too (based on the stats joey emailed around earlier today) that your grimborg ad also has one of the highest click-thru rates of any other ads... it is a nice and tasteful ad, although i think it might be 'kel's shiny butt cheeks' that help with the clicky!
JustinPie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OKAY MAN YOU GUYS WIN.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Laughing
but his butt cheeks aren't shiny!
actually, this one
really made me laugh out loud!
JustinPie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! ! have one regular ad that is just a straight up character poses, and a few from different angles that don't even refer to the comic, that people have to be attentive to notice (this is my target audience!). Anyway, I want to see how the different styles compare in time.

"It's a science experiment!"

As for Killroy, maybe I will add a layer of butttock-sheen in a bit - I don't want to cause some huge imbalance in the stats!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unbalancing the buttocsk would probably be bad also.

Though I do wonder what Joey et al are going to think if all of the comics on the whole MT family start just having naked pics as their ads.
timdemeter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Said it before, say it again.

Yours are effin' hilarious. Especially the text sidebar.
joey
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ads with nudity only stand out (and get more clicks) because nudity is so relatively rare in our everyday media diet. If all the ads had nudity, you'd see a massive backlash against them (and against the site).

The OAN code requires artists uploading ads to specify whether or not they contain nudity (or violence, vulgar language, or animation) -- and allows webmasters to filter out ads with nudity (or any of those other flags) from appearing on their sites. (And there's a way that they can officially report those scoundrels who lie and say their ads don't contain nudity, when they actually do).

So I'm glad that some of our currently-running alpha test ads contain nudity: that will give me an opportunity to test the filtering feature later. After the test, though, I'll disable the filter on my own sites (like TAC): I haven't seen anything so far that I'd personally consider even slightly risque. The closest to it would be the Mythos and Magick ad with nudity, but even that reminds me much more of Monet than Penthouse, and shouldn't be a problem except in the most restrictive environments.

That said, browsing a comics-related forum is, itself, probably unworksafe in all but the most liberal working environments -- unless your work relates directly to comics, that is.

For a while I was tempted to make the Modern Tales slogan "Comics you can read at work," since you actually, you know, can usually get away with doing so (unlike comic books or graphic novels, nobody necessarily knows what you're doing when you're reading webcomics, unless they have direct line-of-sight to your screen). But an attorney friend pointed out that people might get fired for reading comics at work, period -- never mind any issues of risque content, it's just not a work activity, really, in 99.99999999% of cases -- and encouraging that kind of behavior might open us up to lawsuits.

So, by definition, none of our sites are worksafe. Browse during work at your own risk!

Joey
www.moderntales.com

Forsyth wrote:
Unbalancing the buttocsk would probably be bad also.

Though I do wonder what Joey et al are going to think if all of the comics on the whole MT family start just having naked pics as their ads.
TechnoAtheist

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joey wrote:
So, by definition, none of our sites are worksafe. Browse during work at your own risk!

Sadly, I know of places where ANY website is considered not safe for work (I'd note that this includes sites like Fedex and USPS.) Thankfully, I don't work at one of those companies, since I'd probably spend my last few days arguing why the hell the company even has internet access.
Shadowydreamer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had that argument. I worked graveyard shift and could finish my work in about 4 hours. I spent the other four hours switching between writing fiction and surfing the net.. and they got grumpy. I demanded more work. More work didn't show up. They complained about my internet usage. I asked why they had internet available if we weren't supposed to use it, what they expected me to do during my 'down time' - look busy or sit and stare at a wall, and can I have some more work please?

They never did give me more work. *Sigh*

As far as the ads go - I'm afraid my eyes kind of ignore them >_< I can't even afford a subscription anymore so starting a new comic would be rather counter-productive.

-Shady.

http://www.tuxandbunny.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Talk About Comics Forum Index -> Killroy and Tina All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: