Blog · Forums · Podcast
Advertisement

re: "Why Web Comics Have the Same Right"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Talk About Comics Forum Index -> Webcomics Examiner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob Stevenson

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 8:38 pm    Post subject: re: "Why Web Comics Have the Same Right" Reply with quote

I think Barb Lien-Cooper has done a nice job with this piece and I like its timing. Last week, a kind of sister or cousin site debuted, The Graphic Novel Review (GNR). I find all of the criss-crossing of themes interesting.

While Ms. Lien-Cooper longs for equal consideration of web-comics, I can find no explicit mention of web-comics anywhere in the writer's guidelines for GNR. There is also no mention of them being excluded, but I think the plans are to leave them out of the mix.

At the same time, GNR's editor, Alexander Danner, has written for The Webcomic Examiner (WCE).

More interestingly, in an excellent GNR interview of Eddie Campbell, there are large tracts devoted to discussions of defining comics and frustrations with the conservative nature of the form, particularly McCloud's definition.

I would love to explore the relationship between these two worlds, here in a place there seems to be potential for them to meet so closely. At Talk About Comics, the GNR forum is a mere two forums away.

Any takers?
joey
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: re: "Why Web Comics Have the Same Right" Reply with quote

Actually, the writer's guidelines at GNR do specifically disinclude webcomics ("we are not currently reviewing online graphic novels").

The reason is related to the potential appearance of conflict of interest.

GNR is a part of the Modern Tales family of websites. As such, any discussion of webcomics over there is likely to be perceived as coming "from" Modern Tales, the business, rather than from the individual authors, or from GNR itself.

It is the same reason that I am unable to be involved in any way with WCE, though I do support it.

GNR may be able to expand into discussions of webcomics later, after it has established a reputation of its own, independent of Modern Tales.

Joey
www.moderntales.com

Bob Stevenson wrote:
I think Barb Lien-Cooper has done a nice job with this piece and I like its timing. Last week, a kind of sister or cousin site debuted, The Graphic Novel Review (GNR). I find all of the criss-crossing of themes interesting.

While Ms. Lien-Cooper longs for equal consideration of web-comics, I can find no explicit mention of web-comics anywhere in the writer's guidelines for GNR. There is also no mention of them being excluded, but I think the plans are to leave them out of the mix.

At the same time, GNR's editor, Alexander Danner, has written for The Webcomic Examiner (WCE).

More interestingly, in an excellent GNR interview of Eddie Campbell, there are large tracts devoted to discussions of defining comics and frustrations with the conservative nature of the form, particularly McCloud's definition.

I would love to explore the relationship between these two worlds, here in a place there seems to be potential for them to meet so closely. At Talk About Comics, the GNR forum is a mere two forums away.

Any takers?
Bob Stevenson

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: re: "Why Web Comics Have the Same Right" Reply with quote

joey wrote:
Actually, the writer's guidelines at GNR do specifically disinclude webcomics ("we are not currently reviewing online graphic novels").

Thanks. My mistake. I thought I remembered a discussion about that very issue, but I couldn't find it in the review guidelines - and there it was. Thanks also for the clarification about your relationship to both projects. I'd be the last one to accuse you of a conflict of interest in the matter and I hope my remarks didn't come off that way. I'm actually more concerned with the philosophical relationship between these two worlds and I thought this could be a great place to have that discussion.

That said, I would still be interested in Barb Lien-Cooper's take on Eddie Cambell's comments. For example:

Eddie Cambell wrote:
In an era when all conceptualizing about art has turned itself topsy-turvy, we really should have positioned ourselves to think more expansively.

There are several more sprinkled throughout the piece.
Alexander D.
Modern Tales Family Cartoonist

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the irony of my excluding online comics from the mix certainly isn't lost on me! Like Joey said, it's purely about avoiding the appearance of bias. If not for that, there are plenty of webcomics I would gladly include.

That said, I tend to shy away from the idea that any magazine has an obligation to cover material that the editor doesn't want to cover. The personal and creative nature of editing is often underestimated--just like with creative writing, you have to love what you're writing about, or you just won't do it well.

Not to mention the value of specialization--it's no more inappropriate for one journal to focus exclusively on print comics than it is for the Examiner to focus exclusively on online comics.

That's not to say that there aren't some wrongheaded, short-sighted attitudes out there. But folks are entitled to those wrongheaded, short-sighted attitudes, and shouldn't be made to feel obligated to treat work they passionately dislike as if they respected it on par with the work they passionately love.

Still, if I had my druthers, webcomics would be *everywhere*.
joezabel
Modern Tales Family Cartoonist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WCE and GNR are twin brothers on the comics beat. Both spring from the same large but congenial creative family. And both are focusing on newly-minted phenomena in comics publishing.

Webcomics and trade-paperback graphic novels are both attracting audiences of new readers. Both are making headway in places where comics didn't exist before. And both are introducing new genres and new modes of expression to the medium.

It's an exciting time to be involved in comics, and WCE and GNR will be there as eyewitnesses to this artistic revolution!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Talk About Comics Forum Index -> Webcomics Examiner All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: