Blog · Forums · Podcast
Advertisement

Suggest a Story to be Indexed
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Talk About Comics Forum Index -> Full Story: An Index of Completed Webcomics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alexander D.
Modern Tales Family Cartoonist

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 4:25 pm    Post subject: Suggest a Story to be Indexed Reply with quote

READ THIS FIRST

This thread is for suggesting stories to be included in the Full Story index of completed webcomics. However, NOT ALL STORIES WILL BE INDEXED. This project has a specific scope, and no comic falling outside that scope will be included. Please consider whether the story you want to suggest falls within this scope before posting.

That said, even if your story does fall within the scope, I make no promise that it will be indexed in a timely manner or indexed at all. I read every single story before adding it to the index. This means that the process can be very slow, especially for longer stories. It could be a few days or a few months before your story is added. I do not send notifications--if you want to know if your story has been indexed, please check the index itself.

The criteria for inclusion are as follows:

It has to be complete.
Nothing currently being serialized. Nothing that was started, then abandoned unfinished.

It has to be available, in its entirety, online.

I don’t index previews of print works, unless the preview itself is a complete story. (Usually as a preview for an anthology of some sort.)

With former serialized works, there has to be an overarching narrative.
Strips that read as a collection of gags won’t be indexed. Strips that create a larger narrative using the daily format will be. Thus, Narbonic will be indexed once it’s finished. Dinosaur Comics won’t be. This is not an aspersion on Dinosaur Comics—it’s one of my favorite comics. It just falls outside the scope of this project.

I have to like it.
Yes, there’s a subjective element to this. There are too many comics out there for me to spend my time promoting comics I hate. That said, I have uncommonly diverse tastes, so “comics I hate” doesn’t really rule out any particular genre. But I do expect reasonably intelligent writing and reasonably proficient art. No incoherent napkin scribble comics. But again, I make no promise that I will like your work--please understand that there is always a chance that I will decide not to include the story you suggest.

All that said, your suggestions are welcome! Please include title, author, and URL when suggesting a story.

Thank you!
nvonflue

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if you've ever seen "Slices" written by Andrew Dabb and drawn by a ton of artists.

The premise was one 3 pager a week for a year, and includes some pretty nice comics, I think...

It's definently a finished series, being completed a few years ago. A lot of the artists have gone on to do some print comics work and even Dabb himself used the series to broker some print work for himself.

It's at: http://opi8.com/sequence/slices

("Seelenheil" is my favorite, and not just cause I drew it!!)
webcomicsexaminer
Underwater

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest Queen Of Wands. http://www.queenofwands.net
Tim Tylor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irrational Fears by Ursula Vernon of "Digger"

Kid Radd by Dan Miller. The front page doesn't advertise it very well, but this is a pretty imaginitive and very funny piece of science-fiction with a well-made plot and some serious themes.

Fans by T Campbell (The currently running comic on the site is a sequel to the main story, which is complete.)

Nightmare World A collection of completed online "horror comics" with some sharp and funny tales.

Unicorn Jelly by Jennifer Diane Reitz. Another good science-fiction story. Also has two currently-running sequels at http://www.pasteldefender.com/ which are shaping up into great stories.
Dea ex Machina

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jen Wang has a couple of shorts I think you'd like, Koko Be Good and the autobiographical Double Happiness Wedding.

Demonology 101 is a good concluded series.

Dylan Meconis has a one-pager that's pretty. (EDIT: the page got moved in Dylan's recent redesign. I've updated the link.)

Diana Sasse's Saturnalia is a lot of fun. Weird as all Hell, but that's the joy of it. It's book one of her Kennedy Tales series, book two of which is currently running on Graphic Smash, but it reads fine on its own.

Tim Tylor wrote:
Irrational Fears by Ursula Vernon of "Digger"

Seconded! Also, Ursula's recently written another short, Little Creature.

Tim Tylor wrote:
Fans by T Campbell (The currently running comic on the site is a sequel to the main story, which is complete.)

I'd like to add that the aforementioned Fans sequel, The Iron Easel, is itself also complete, as of today. I'm the artist, so I hope my mentioning that isn't a conflict of interest. Embarassed

As a point of interest, the webcomics wiki project, Comixpedia.org, has a category for completed webcomics. Might be a good page to keep an eye on if you like finished works. Also, if you're a reader who's found something you like through Full Story, you might want to consider adding it to the encyclopedia and spreading the love!

Last edited by Dea ex Machina on Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
peri_renna

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second Unicorn Jelly, Irrational Fears, Little Creature, Kid Radd, and Demonology 101 (which incidentally has a completed spinoff story associated with it), and Queen of Wands (forgot that one!) My own recs:

Also, Tailsteak's got Sight (a 24-hour comic), The Sixth TV, and Tournament of Things. The third is sorta iffy, but I think the others probably rate inclusion.
Tim Tylor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perchance to Dream by Pancha & Elena Diaz has just been completed. It's an interesting fantasy story, with a possible sequel sometime in the future.

Ian Edginton and D'Israeli have a good completed War of the Worlds adaptation up at the Dark Horse Comics website.
Tim Tylor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few more:

Chronicles of the Witch Queen: Some good complete stories, particularly Double, Eye of the Underworld and Christmas at Blocksberg.

The Boy Shop Pets: Three of Thomas Dye's early pre-Newshounds comics, rough compared to the modern strip but still worth a look. (The current spinoff Manifestations will be a standalone story when it's finished.)

Flick: A great series of separate science-fiction stories, now being run for free at Mikael Oskarsson's new site.
Tim Tylor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another just completed, a little comic horror quickie:
The Doll by Mikael Oskarsson
apfurtado

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tween: The Bad Mojo Saga.

Judging Man

Tim Tylor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

File 49 by Sara Turner, a good large science-fiction graphic novel
http://mlatcomics.com/file49_index.html
Tim Tylor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another just completed, a nineteen-page tale with informative links:
Soar & Sing by James Roberts
http://www.hirezfox.com/jimrob/sas/sas01.html
Dea ex Machina

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just found out through Monica Gallagher's mailing list (It tells me when to check Gods and Undergrads), that she's done a short story!

And as long as I'm here:

Babyfood, by Brian Lee O'Malley, is a nice melanfunny little short.

Kit Kaleidoscope and the Mermaid in the Jar. Adventures in surrealist taxidermy. Pretty, slightly creepy, and an interesting experiment in pictorial dialogue.

Kara, Kali, and the Wind is a lovely little fairy tale. With a lemur. Lemurs make everything good.
silus

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's my own, but Great and Small is a complete, self-contained 10 page story.

gordonmcalpin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:35 am    Post subject: Stripped Books Reply with quote

Hi, I do Stripped Books, which is an irregularly updated series of non-fiction strips adapting a book- or comics-related event into comics form. There are seven stories to date, all of them completed. (Stripped Books is on a bit of a hiatus, as of May, 2006.)

"Persepolis 2.1: The Story of a Signing" by Gordon McAlpin (8 pages, plus cover)

"Jon & Lane go to Barnes & Noble!" by Gordon McAlpin (9 pages, plus cover)

"Stephen Mitchell on Gilgamesh" by Gordon McAlpin (13 pages)

"Pick the Trotsky!" by Gordon McAlpin (13 pages)

"Neil Gaiman at the 2005 Nebula Awards" by guest artist Dan Henrick and Gordon McAlpin (8 pages, plus cover)

"Harry Potter and the 57th St. Books Release Party" by Gordon McAlpin, with a cover painting by Libby VanderPloeg (6 pages, plus cover)

"A Comics Panel" featuring Chris Ware, Seth & Ivan Brunetti by Gordon McAlpin (14 pages plus cover)

Last edited by gordonmcalpin on Mon May 01, 2006 4:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Talk About Comics Forum Index -> Full Story: An Index of Completed Webcomics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: